Who says what?

Novelist, mother, minister, and yoga teacher muses on books, babies, motherhood, and what matters with reverent humor.

Sunday, January 6, 2013

Feminist Mother, duh!

I asked my oldest friend, during a recent visit she made from Ohio, to pose for the I Am A Feminist Mother Photo Contest and Online Exhibit. She wanted to know why, again, was I doing this, because in her life, every mother she knows is a feminist mother.

It was a good opportunity for me to share some of the responses I have received about this project, which I list, in no particular order:
1. Silence
2. What is a feminist?
3. I don't like the word feminist.
4. I don't understand what you mean.
5. Feminists are angry and hate people; I'm not one of them.
6. I don't understand.
7. Feminist and mother are oxymoronic.
8. If you stay-at-home, you can't be a feminist.
9. Feminists don't like me.
10. Silence

Here, I've captured my oldest, dearest friend, who suggested she read the galley copy of my new novel, I'll TAKE WHAT SHE HAS (the inspiration for this photo contest), for the photo. Her son is leaping beside her. My friend, Sara, is one of the strongest, wisest, brightest people I know and she is raising her son with authenticity and awareness. I have learned from her how to be more myself, and truer to myself. A woman who supports other women like she does, who uses her gifts for the good (politically and emotionally),and who is neither apologetic nor retiring in her own gifts and capacities, is not just a feminist mother, but an inspiration.

Please send me your photograph!

No comments:

Post a Comment