Who says what?

Novelist, mother, minister, and yoga teacher muses on books, babies, motherhood, and what matters with reverent humor.

Thursday, May 20, 2010

The Chocolate is Back

One of the saddest, sorriest, most devastating side effects of my pregnancies has been a total lack of interest in chocolate. In fact, just a month ago, my husband bought me some of my favorite chocolates. They sat in the house untouched for days. Then I gave them to my mother. (Never mind being too sick to get out of bed, not being able to eat all day, constant nausea, and an aversion to the smell of my own house.)

Begs the questions: who am I? Without my chocolate, do I even exist?

I am happy to announce that a very small, modest, controlled desire for chocolate has resurfaced in my life. Though it will not lead me to eat an entire box of Whitman's chocolates in one sitting, I do believe there is a light at the end of the tunnel and I may well become the person I used to be.

In the meantime, morning sickness, as usual, has proven to be my best diet and people cannot stop saying, "You look so thin!"

Amazing what happens when you take a daily chocolate regiment out of a diet. Still, colors weren't as bright, laughs weren't as hearty, sunsets weren't as brilliant without chocolate in my life. I'm so glad you're back, dear chocolate. But what a shame that you give me terrible heartburn; can we work on that?

Isn't it always the ones you love who hurt you?

4 comments:

  1. My sister lost her taste for chocolate and Dr. Pepper which were two things that she couldn't live without before getting pregnant. Our bodies are hateful bastards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So perfectly said. (And then how do we live when we realize we can live without the things we couldn't live without?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't remember what I hated when I was pregnant that I usually loved ... Oh, yes, now I remember ... FOOD!!! I was so nauseated throughout my pregnancy that I didn't want to eat anything. I think I lost like 40 pounds and then the Dr yelled at me and I started doing a little better then.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, 40 pounds. Your diet is even better than mine. And what an inspirational doctor! Nothing like getting yelled at to make you hungry!

    ReplyDelete