Who says what?

Novelist, mother, minister, and yoga teacher muses on books, babies, motherhood, and what matters with reverent humor.

Thursday, January 8, 2009

I Miss You

Well, it is lonely being a stay-at-home mother. Unless you're lucky enough to be living next door to your best friend, know all your neighbors, and have your mother and your mother-in-law in town, your home, despite the chaos of children, can seem quite empty sometimes.

But then that's why we have computers, right?! Google never sleeps. Emails are so warm and fuzzy. A good blog is just like having lunch together...isn't it?

When I head out with Ellias in the morning, after Adeline is down for her morning nap, we play. He likes to serve up pancakes made of snow. Or play baseball with a basketball and a stick. Or sweep the driveway with my car's ice-brush.

I stand outside and listen to the quiet. Believe me, I love quiet. But some days, I don't want to feel that I live in the middle of Indiana on a farm where our nearest neighbors are ten miles away. I don't live on a farm. Isn't anyone else home during the day? Don't they want to come out and play?

And yes, Alanis Morisette, I get that it's ironic to blog about how disconnected we all are because of technology--from the washing machine to the computer, each new item leaves us less dependent on one another.

Well, I'm not afraid to say it. I need you. I miss you. Come visit.

3 comments:

  1. awww. I want to come visit you! But I can only come after work hours, when Neale is back home and keeping you company. Maybe if I have a day off, or a long afternoon, I'll give you a call!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PLEASE come look at my blog. And be friends.
    valleykidstuff.blogspot.com
    We Play! We are Out On the Town.
    sara
    ps. can you tell i like your blog?

    ReplyDelete