Who says what?

Novelist, mother, minister, and yoga teacher muses on books, babies, motherhood, and what matters with reverent humor.

Thursday, February 26, 2009

My Life Among the Savages

Is it just me, or does spending time with young children have an awful lot in common with a trip to the zoo?

Sure, the animals are beautiful--and strange. It's fun to look at them. When they're in a cage.

But you don't really want them eating at your table, or defecating in your living room.

My beautiful, perfect children. Oh, how I love them. And, in order to do, oh, I'd say, anything, I need to cajole, manipulate, threaten, persuade, sing a song, and, quite often, do a little jig. Who knew civilizing a person took so much effort?

But they are very sweet when they're asleep. In their cages.

No comments:

Post a Comment