Who says what?

Novelist, mother, minister, and yoga teacher muses on books, babies, motherhood, and what matters with reverent humor.

Friday, May 28, 2010

Last Day

Today was my son's last day of his first year of preschool and while I was looking around at the playground afterwards searching for the champagne, no one else seemed to think it was in order. So much for marking the major milestones...

After all, aren't we the same people who posted online photographs of the kid the first time he a) clapped his hands b) peed on the potty c) picked his nose? Yes, we are!

And aren't we the same people who called up the grandparents the first time she a) rolled over without being gentle led into it by our hands b) sat up c) talked back to us in our own angry tone of voice?

I was thinking, on the drive home, oh, time goes so quickly! And then, getting unsentimental, I remembered how slowly some of these days have gone. I suppose they're both true. Just yesterday (it seems) he was a babe in diapers drooling on my shoulder, when actually, just yesterday, he ripped some buckets out of my daughter's hands and said: "No more bucket time! Bucket time is OVER!" What a lovely moment. I saw with perfect clarity just how I act when I attempt to discipline.

Now he's grown his four years as a child, and I've grown mine as a mother. This mothering thing has a steep learning curve; I'm happy to say I think I'm getting better. Very slowly.

3 comments:

  1. My daughter turns 1 on Thurday (6/3/10). I can't believe how fast time goes. It really does seem like she was just a small newborn that I was holding and scared to death to be a new mom. Now I am a diaper changing, spit-up catching, baby entertaining pro (or so I like to think).

    Congrats to your little guy!! And congrats to you, too!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratualtions. It IS a major milestone, especially for you, watching him learn how to be a person with peers and other teachers, and not just family members, influencing him.

    Ours is a biter. And a whiner, this weekend. I'm not sure I'm getting better as a mother, but I still haven't taken him to the adoption center, so I think I deserve champagne. Don't you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's a line from a song I love by Cheyl Wheeler: "life is short, but the days and nights are long." Too true for new motherhood!

    ReplyDelete